Friday, July 12, 2013

Riverbend Farm CSA Week 4

There was more in the box than I expected - speckled trout lettuce, romaine lettuce, mixed cooking greens, black popcorn, young red onions, cucumber, yellow & green zucchini, and lacinato kale.


These  baby onions are one of my very favorite things (they are my candy).  Lacinato kale (also one of my favorites) is very tender, all it needs is a short marinade in a mustard vinaigrette and its ready to eat. I hope to soon try a new recipe using the squashes from this week, with the cornmeal from a couple of weeks ago. Lemon-Zucchini Cornmeal Cookies
Update - I did make the cookie recipe and it was a waste of perfectly lovely-fresh-organic zucchini.  Why even put a recipe like that out there?

This may be the last of the lettuce for a bit.  Last week's hot hot weather has turned all the lettuce in my garden bitter.  Luckily I still have kale and collard greens, plus the tops from green and purple kohlrabies -  which are a little smaller than a baseball and ready to be eaten.

No comments: